Welcome to a new round of the Cap-Iron Man Reverse Bang! Running since 2010, the Reverse Bang invites the community's artists to create new Steve/Tony artworks and challenges writers to create fanfiction prompted by an artist's work.What's a Reverse Bang?
A reverse bang (a.k.a. reverse big bang or RBB) is collaborative event between artists and writers, meant to encourage the creation of new fanart and accompanying fic. Opposite to the big bang challenge, artists submit art entries which are then claimed by writers who each create a story inspired by their claim.How does it work?
During the art submission period, artists will sign up for the Reverse Bang by sending in their entries following the submission guidelines as detailed in the Artists' Guidelines. We will accept any Steve/Tony art submission that has recognizable characters—the art doesn't have to be 100% complete to be sent in!
During the claims phase, all art entries will be assigned a code name and posted anonymously. Writers will then claim the artwork for which they want to create an accompanying story for. There is no formal sign-up for writers; all participants need to do is to claim artwork during the claims period.
During the collaborative phase, writers and artists can work together as much or a little as they want to brainstorm ideas and cheer each other on, making sure to keep in regular contact with each other.
During the posting phase, teams will post their completed fanworks together. At the end of the challenge, we will prepare a Masterlist of all created works.
ScheduleEarliest art submission acceptance:
Tuesday, January 1st, 2019Art submission deadline:
Wednesday, February 6th, 18:00 CET (what time is this for me?
)(art will be available for viewing a minimum of 24 hours before claims begin)Author claims:
Saturday, February 9th, 18:00 CET (what time is this for me?
)Posting date claims:
Saturday, April 20th, 18:00 CET (what time is this for me?
Wednesday, May 1st
Guidelines for All Participants
- Please read through the General Event Policies and the following rules below carefully before submitting your work. Works that do not abide by the Event Work Requirements will not be accepted.
- You must read all of the guidelines carefully. You are responsible for reading and understanding all of the guidelines listed below.
- All participants must be 18 or older.
- This challenge is run by the cap-ironman community and it's a Steve/Tony fest, so we're looking for art and fic with a focus on the relationship between Steve Rogers and Tony Stark in any context and in any setting or continuity you can think of.
- We don't allow pre-formed teams or tandem sign-ups, and we expect all participants to be open to working with new people. We also can't guarantee that a particular author and artist will be paired together as the claiming process is partially anonymous and first-come, first-serve. When you sign-up, be open to work constructively with anyone.
- Each creator may submit a total of two distinct works to the event (in any combination of art and fic).
- This is a collaborative fest: you are expected to keep in touch with your team for the duration of the fest. You must coordinate with your partner during the posting period.
- Works need to be complete by the beginning of May and ready for posting by your team’s posting date.
- For long term accessibility reasons, we now require both writers and artists to have an AO3 account. You are responsible for posting your finished work(s) to our AO3 collection upon your team's posting date. If you don’t have an account, you can request one here. If for any reason you do not receive an invitation through the queue and it’s already close to your posting date, please contact us and we will try and provide you with an invite code.
- Detailed date claiming and posting instructions will be communicated to participants closer to the deadline. Even if you finish early, do not post your work or any portion of it anywhere before the posting date. Doing so will disqualify you from the Reverse Bang.
If you're signing up as an artist, please read through the GUIDELINES FOR ARTISTS page for information on draft submissions and more.
If you'd like to claim artwork and join as a writer, please read through the GUIDELINES FOR WRITERS page for information on the claiming process and more.
After the claiming period and all creators are teamed up, the RBB mods will be sending out additional information and event updates via email
, in addition to posting on the c_im_bigbang
community. Please make sure that you check your email regularly once you've joined the event.
If you need a space to talk about your progress, ask questions, look for resources, or more, check out the Creator Workshop posts
. It's a long creating period from now until May, and the key is to keep motivated and have a great time throughout the challenge!
Where can I post my work?
We require your work to be posted to our AO3 Collection and on our Dreamwidth community in your Masterpost on your posting date, but you are free to post it in other places after you’ve done this. We will reblog your Tumblr post if you link to your partner's work and and, because of Tumblr's new rules regarding nudity, all NSFW art is linked rather than in the post itself. Please note that as this is a collaborative event, art created for this event should not be posted for commercial sale until six months after the event has ended.
We are required to make a Masterpost on the DW community, but what if none of our team members has a DW account?
Every team will be required to have a DW Masterpost with links to the art entry and all accompanying stories posted on their chosen posting date. A Dreamwidth account can easily be created here
and in order for you to keep control over it we suggest that one team member make an account. If no one on the team has an account or want to make one, mods can post your masterpost from the cap-ironman-fe account. Please contact us for at email@example.com
after more information goes up in the posting guidelines.
What kind of art submissions and accompanying stories qualify?
This challenge is run by the cap_ironman
community and this is a Steve/Tony fest
, so we’re looking for fanworks with a focus on the relationship between Steve Rogers and Tony Stark
in any context and in any setting or continuity you can think of.
An art submission is any piece of art created with digital or physical media that prominently features Steve/Tony or Steve and/or Tony in any situation that could be developed into a story about Steve and Tony and their relationship.
A companion fic is any Steve/Tony focussed story that is newly created, based on the artwork that the writer claimed, and is at least 5,00 words in length. This means that the fic must be set in the same canon that the artwork is in, and should revolve around Steve, Tony and their relationship.
Are other characters and pairings permitted?
Supporting characters are of course allowed—your art and fic doesn't have to be Tony and Steve in isolation. Secondary pairings are allowed, but can’t be the focus of your work. In pre-slash works, secondary pairings should be kept to the background
and the focus should be clearly on Steve and Tony and their interactions, relationship, friendship, etc.
If there is romance, then the focus should be clearly on the Steve/Tony relationship. Relationships that feature a character who is neither Steve or Tony are not allowed to be the main focus of your work. For example, Steve/Tony/Tony
is allowed to be the main dynamic in your work, but secondary pairings, a relationship that only features Steve or Tony, or Steve/Tony/other character
are not. Other Steve- and/or Tony-pairings can be referenced to or featured in the background or set-up, but should not be a prominent aspect of the work. Steve and Tony's relationship—whether it is romantic, platonic, pre-slash or otherwise—should be the main focus of your work and the “endgame” relationship, if applicable.
What does "endgame" mean?
Does it mean they have to be together at the end? Not exactly. If Steve and Tony's relationship is the only
dynamic explored in your Reverse Bang art or story, then they do not have to be "together" at the end of your work. However, if multiple relationships are featured, then the endgame or "goal" of your story should be exclusively Steve/Tony.
The following examples of artwork would be allowed
as a submission to the Cap-Iron Man Reverse Bang:
- A single-panelled work that features Tony and/or Steve clutching the other's uniform, a letter or other such item of significance to the other, gazing longingly into the distance.
- Artwork where Steve and Tony are in mid-battle or having an argument, and are not then seen walking off with someone else.
- Artwork of Steve and Tony having a good time in a platonic way, where no romantic relationship is featured between them and anyone else, and any secondary pairings are kept to the background of the art.
- A series of sequential artworks or multipanel art that depicts Steve and/or Tony's realisation that they love each other, and romantic entanglements are resolved as Steve/Tony, with Steve and Tony being in the foreground of the artworks.
The following examples of stories would be allowed
as an accompanying fic in the Cap-Iron Man Reverse Bang:
- A story where 100% of the story concerns Steve/Tony and their breaking up and subsequent unhappy ending.
- A story that ends with Steve or Tony dying, and the other is left to pine and grieve for his one true love and regret missed chances.
- A love triangle where Steve and Tony finally realize they are the only ones for each other and the romantic trouble gets resolved as Steve/Tony, with Steve and Tony's relationship at the forefront of the fic.
If you have any questions, they may already be answered in our General Event Policies
page. If you have any further questions, feel free to contact the RBB mods at firstname.lastname@example.org!